Website Wellington Regional Economic Development Agency
Our vision at the Wellington Regional Economic Development Agency (WREDA) is to make Wellington the most prosperous, liveable, and vibrant region in Australasia. We market Wellington as a destination for visitors, migrants and investors; help businesses grow and innovate; advocate for Wellington’s economy; attract and promote major events and run civic venues.
The remit of Major Events has been to manage all investment in Major Events. These funds have been used to sponsor major event activity in Wellington City as investments with the objectives of; generating direct economic benefits for the city; enhancing the profile and liveability of Wellington; as well as stimulating wider growth in the economy by aligning events to WREDA’s current growth sector portfolio. We’ve liaised, facilitated, coordinated and ultimately enabled major event organisers and owners to find the best solutions for their events in our city, whilst stimulating the best return on investment from the event for the city.
The Partnerships & Events team is looking to appoint a Major Events Attraction Manager. Reporting to the GM Partnerships & Events, you will play a central role in major events prospecting, bidding and attraction, and the associated investment in Major Events. You will take ownership of identifying national and international events that can be targeted and secured for Wellington, or developing events that can drive out of region visitation and increase our region’s profile.
This new position is designed to support WREDA’s commitment to further develop and attract major events in Wellington and grow the contribution to the Wellington economy.
You will be skilled and confident in contributing to the growth of our range and spread of events, and to ensure that our events sector in the city and region remains strong. Ultimately, you will be helping to maintain Wellington as a major events hub in New Zealand.
We are looking for a high-performing individual, able to look for opportunities and be strong at building relationships to ensure our position within the Major Events sector is strong. You will be excellent with both understanding the needs of our audiences and key partners, and securing exceptional major events.
Some of your responsibilities will include:
- Assessing the event marketplace for events that meet WREDA’s vision and strategy
- Lead the prospecting, analysis and assessment of event opportunities which have commercial value, including fund management and contracting
- Lead the development of bid documentation and the securing of major events
- Partner with relevant agencies and venues on the prospecting, bidding and negotiation for major events
- Contributing to the Major Events team strategy and planning in conjunction with the GM Partnerships & Events
- Managing relationships including building and strengthening our relationships; supporting, facilitating and providing advice to stakeholders involved in developing events for the city and region
To be successful in this role, you will have:
- Extensive business-related experience (preferably a minimum of 5 years’) and/or event attraction experience
- Knowledge and expertise in event industry, event products and services
- Highly skilled at influencing decision-makers through lobbying, negotiation and strategies
- A relevant tertiary qualification in event management or other relevant business development or project management
The diversity of our employees from our venues business through to economic development, marketing and brand professionals and many more – makes WREDA one of the most interesting organisations you will find. You will enjoy working with a wide range of people, and get satisfaction being part of a team that grows the Major Events sector further.
Do you want to be part of an exciting organisation making a difference to Wellington?
If yes, we would love to hear from you. Please send your cover letter and CV to Vathany Owen, HR Coordinator & Advisor on Vathany.owen@WellingtonNZ.com by Friday 27th April by 5pm.
For more information on this exciting opportunity, please refer to the job description on WellingtonNZ.com/jobs or email Vathany Owen quoting reference to the vacancy name.
Please note only applicants with the right to live and work in NZ will be considered.
To apply for this job please visit the following URL: https://www.seek.co.nz/job-apply/35923776 →